Wednesday, January 13, 2016

Christmas Memories

As a new mama to two I can no longer produce timely blog posts
so looking back on our Christmas nearly a month later 
I want to simply capture the details and precious moments 
that might be overlooked if I were to re-tell all the events and happenings instead


I want to remember Nollie's excitement in getting to sit on a white blanketed couch with her baby 
 How the soft light poured in through the east windows


How this was the first time we let her get this close due to her being sick the week we brought him home


How she giggled with delight in touching and naming his eyes and nose, saying "soft" to his hair and cheeks,
and the way he looked up at her in wonder



I want to remember his sleepy days, so warm and content in any position


And even his squinty eyes and peely, rashy newborn skin
How it all fades so fast


I want to see the glow of lights bouncing off glass balls
and remember how she broke three of them in her effort to help decorate the tree
I'll remember the glitter and pine needles that were embedded into the rug for weeks


I will certainly not forget this Snow White Christmas dress
and how she swish-swished it around, saying "oooh!" the moment we tried it on


And her darling monologues and story-tellings the night of Christmas Eve
How she pranced around the house, just basking in our delight of her



I'll remember her kisses to baby on Christmas morning
And face timing my loves so far away


And the way she exclaimed "Open, open!" and signed 'please' for every gift 


I'll remember all the little things that mattered so much to her Nana
the beautiful wrappings, glowing candles, and treats galore
How she splurged and yet remained so content to sit and hold her grandson
And how he barely fit into those Christmas jams!


I'll remember her Papa giving her too much sweets 
and the way she has him wrapped around her finger tight
I'll remember his laughter and silly games with her



And how she plays hard to get but so easy to love


I'll remember how this was the first Christmas together since Megan and Jeremy came home
and how Knox barely left his loving auntie's arms




And all the effort it took to make one toy that she wasn't even thrilled about
and how that's what memories are made of!


I want to remember a day filled with joy, thoughtful gifts and loving words
A meal shared round the table and the comfort of a full home
And a family that calls me their daughter and sister and friend


I choose to remember, to count my gifts and say that I am blessed
I choose not to forget the things and people and moments that remind me of eternity
And the greatest gift of all



No comments: